23.7.07

Chicago Inspiration

On my recent trip to Chicago I visited the Merchandise Mart. It was my first time at this major Design Center. It is huge and is said to be the second largest building in the US, The Pentagon is the largest. It also houses the Gift and Home Market showrooms. The Interior Design showrooms are on three of the18(+/-) floors. I had a quick (all day Friday) cruise through the 18th floor and the Main level floor (didn't have a chance to visit the other floor as time didn't permit). Of course I visited my favourite showroom: Michael Taylor as well as many others. I will collect my thoughts and inspirations and do some posts in the week to come. But some of the themes I saw that stick out in my mind right now are: Lucite tables, mirrors & lamps; beautiful scenic & mural wallpapers; wonderful fabrics & Christian Liaigre furniture at Holly Hunt; lots of indoor/outdoor fabrics. In shopping on the "Magic Mile" I did notice fall fashions in black and white hounds tooth check for coats and capes. There is a resurgence of capes for fall (very 80's). Everyone was wearing flats, especially the monogram ones by Tory Burch, and lots and lots of little girls all lovingly carrying their newly purchased dolls from American Girl Doll Company. These dolls are so beautiful. They have old fashioned cloth bodies and beautiful eyes that open and close, and matching outfits can be purchased so the little girls can wear the same clothes as their dolls, or is it the other way around? The average purchase in this store is said to be $400.00. There is lots and lots of selection and inspiration in the Interior Design arena...stay tuned more to come on this.

7 comments:

  1. Oh please do tell us what you bought! Of note, on my inspiration board in my office, I have a beautiful picture of a room with antiques and paintings, as well as a table with zigzag lucite chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun, and I can't wait to read your posts about what you saw. Can't wait to hear about the scenic & mural wallpapers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh how fabulous! I am planning the same sojourn with my mother-in-law next April. She in a kitchen and bath designer herself, so the two of us may find ourselves unable to pull our prying eyes away form the mart. I am so grateful to live so near this fabulous resource!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like fun! looking forward to your observations. I feel for you on the whole Spiderman scene! My nephews love that stuff and never want anything else....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds wonderful! Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi - Welcome back! Hope Chicago was good to you! Can't wait to hear about everything, especially the wallpapers. That really piqued my interest. Where were they? oh, ha - My daughter has those Tory Burch shoes!! She's so spoiled.

    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Maryam...I didn't buy anything this time at the Merchandise Mart, it was a resourcing trip. But I did buy a new pair of Prada flats in leopard pony hide (very hot)and a Trina Turk fab white blouse with puffy sleeves amongst other delectables.

    Hi Peak
    The scenic & mural wallpapers were wonderful. I will be doing posts about three different Companies when I get all my info organized.

    Hi Franki
    Aren't you lucky to live so close to this wonderful resource. The kitchen and bath showrooms on the main level are fantastic. I particularly liked Urban Archaeology. I will do a post on them.

    Hi AnnChovie
    Thanks for your sympathy on the Spiderman "thing". Last year it was Dinosaurs and I think that the eldest is now gravitating towards Harry Potter.

    Hi All the Best....please check back this week for more posts on my finds at the Merchandise Mart.

    Hi Cote
    My daughter is also spoiled and has Tory Burch flats, that's why I noticed them everywhere because she was so kind to point her sightings out to me. What a brain that woman has for printing money.

    ReplyDelete

Patricia Gray | Interior Design Blog™

I love to hear your comments and welcome your thoughts and feedback. Please use the comment form as a discussion format pertaining to the topic at hand.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...