6.7.07

Green Chic

The color green is timeless. Green is life. Abundant in nature, green signifies growth, renewal, health, and environment. I have just painted a client's entry and dining room Benjamin Moore Jalapeno Green. It is a wonderful color and I accented the room with white and dark wood. The color I used is almost the same color as the sofa Vincente Wolf used in the room he did below. I was looking through some archives of rooms that David Hicks had done probably 30 years ago and I was quite taken with the two rooms of his, shown below, as they are so current now. The first room is a match to BM Wales Green 2028-60. Notice how he has used a splash of neon yellow and turquoise to add a punch to the room. The room above of David Hicks was done years ago and the two pictures below are current. Quite similar use of colors. Eileen Kathryn Boyd Antonia Hutt Mary McDonald is a master at using color. This room makes me feel happy. Sheila Bridges This room has a wonderful soothing quality. Eileen Kathryn Boyd Eileen Kathryn Boyd I love the touch of Schiaparelli Pink in the two chairs and flowers on the mantle above. Schiaparellia was a French fashion designer, born in Italy who lived 1890 - 1973 and made this color of pink her signature color. This chair is similar to the one that Kelly Wearstler has on the front cover of her book Domicilium Decoratus. chair Jayson Home and Garden LuLu DK fabric Mary McDonald Shelley Gordon Love this Billiard Room Green
Kelly Wearstler Queen of Green
Tessellations tile
Le Gemme glass tiles Bisazza Bisazza tile is all the rage right now. This one has touches of mustard yellow to accentuate the green more.
Treillage The inexpensive and ever so chic and timeless ceramic stool
Interesting facts on the color green:
Nature of Green: Green is a restful color with some of the same calming attributes of blue. Like blue, time moves faster in a green room. Green of renewal, fresh energy and new beginnings. Green is very nourishing to to your health, it calms your nerves and balances your whole body by bringing healing vibrations from Nature.
Culture of Green: Because of all the green in nature the color is reminiscent of Spring. Coupled with red it's a Christmas color.
Language of Green: Good green Green light - go, permission to proceed (with a task) The green room - in theater or televisions it is the room where performers and guests go to relax Green thumb - good with plants Greenback - US dollar bill, money Greener pastures - something newer or better (or perceived to be better), such as a new job
Bad green Green-eyed monster - jealousy Green with envy - jealous or envious Green - inexperienced, untested, untrained
Click here to see other posts on Color

18 comments:

  1. This is one of the best post I have seen in a long time! I adore the color green, it’s probably my favorite color and yet it is no where in my home!?! Maybe I need to think about how to incorporate it into my decor. Love the Mary McDonald photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6/7/07

    This is a great post! Informative and just full of inspiration. Beautiful images. I have often thought of green as a neutral, although of course, it isn't, but green is such an organic color. What's your thought on that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post! All of the designers you mention are so great, and I just cannot get enough of that KWID Wallpaper!

    P.S. Love your blog.I am linking you! Thanks for the link on your blog!:)

    P.S.S. You are a wonderful designer and congrats on your AD spread!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That apartment of Chloe S.'s from H&G is one of my all-time favorites. I loved the way it was styled as well - the bike with the basket, the vintage Hermes and YSL white bags hanging from the doorknob. It jump started my obsession with Imperial Trellis. Great post!

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi All the Best..
    Buy a green plant to start with,
    then take it from there, or maybe green in a toss cushion. I am considering putting green linen flowing draperies in my new home.
    I think I will never tire the color green.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susan
    You must also love green, because it is on you opening page of your web-site. Green is organic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Katie
    Thanks for your kind words. I also love KWID, but wonder if I could live with that much pattern for the long term? I think it makes for a beautiful photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Becky
    Wonderful to get inspiration isn't it. Thanks Kelly Wearstler.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quite a few of my favorite rooms are included here. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Patricia,
    RE: your comment on style court:
    The link should be working now. All I have left is the HB cover seen in the "Hadley Inspired" post but www.pastpaper.com
    has back issues. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous6/7/07

    Great post about green. Love the last David Hicks room - it could be designed in 2007 for all of its timelessness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post - green is also my favorite colour. I especially love the rooms by David Hicks, Mary McDonald and Eileen Kathryn Boyd. But I have to say there are not many people who could get away with a room overdosing on green like Kelly Wearstler does. I adore that study of hers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Suzy
    I think David Hicks is a classic.
    I am new to the work of Eileen Kathryn Boyd and like the splashes of color she adds to an otherwise all white room. She does much the same as David Hick does in his all white rooms. The punches of color act as punctuation marks. And Kelly Wearstler doesn't do anything but bold and over the top, and I think that is what makes it work so well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Bisazza tiles are to die for! I have always loved greens/blues!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous15/10/08

    Green is just my favourite colour...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Patricia,
    Just got your email and went straight for the green! So glad you posted this nifty study of color (you are quite a high tech gal), anyway, i also love the soothing green dining room by Mary McDonald. I am getting my paint bucket back out and painting my silly chair rail to match my walls. uggh took me forever to trim around those babies! Believe me when i tell you that i will get a few raised eyebrows tomorrow when my guests come over for derby & see how untraditional this Texas girl continues to be.
    Thanks Patricia for keeping me hip!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Patricia,

    This is such a great post. I particularly like the Eileen Kathryn Boyd pictures. Personally I find the easiest and best way to get green into a room is to get some nice big plants. They really brighten up the room and look pretty.

    Please keep up the posts
    Fayaaz

    ReplyDelete

Patricia Gray | Interior Design Blog™

I love to hear your comments and welcome your thoughts and feedback. Please use the comment form as a discussion format pertaining to the topic at hand.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...