25.6.07

Simplicity

If you are like me and so many others with busy lifes and careers, I am always on the search for ways to simplify my life, organize my work, keep on top of things, file information so I can find it when I need it. So when I came across this book I thought maybe it held the answer.

The book Laws of Simplicity offers ten laws for balancing simplicity and complexity in business, technology, and design. But after I had tried to this book, which I found to NOT be a simple read. I have to say it falls under Law #9Failure - some things can never be made simple. Like I am always trying to achieve the simplest of designs which I find are the very hardest, because everything has to be detailed to perfection equates to Law 5 - simplicity and complexity need each other. Sometimes I love the simplest of design and sometimes I am attracted to over the top design. Sometimes simplicity works and sometimes not. Maybe there is something to the adage that "opposites do attract".

Simple things I love: my Ipod, my Blackberry, blogging, designs by Christian Liagre
Complex things I love: travel (getting through security), playing the piano, finding the perfect bottle of wine, designs by Kelly Wearstler

TEN LAWS
1. REDUCE The simplest way to achieve simplicity is through thoughtful reduction.
2. ORGANIZE Organization makes a system of many appear fewer.
3. TIME Savings in time feel like simplicity.
4. LEARN Knowledge makes everything simpler.
5. DIFFERENCES Simplicity and compleity need each other.
6. CONTEXT What lies in the periphery of simplicity is definitely not peripheral.
7. EMOTION More emotions are better than less.
8. TRUST In simplicity we trust.
9. FAILURE Some things can never be made simple.
10. THE ONE Simplicity is about subtracting the obvious and adding the meaningful


Simple ....but complex


Complex ...but simple

1 comment:

  1. Hi patiricia,
    Thanks for linking kstyle. I will do the same in the next few days. Love your blog. k

    ReplyDelete

Patricia Gray | Interior Design Blog™

I love to hear your comments and welcome your thoughts and feedback. Please use the comment form as a discussion format pertaining to the topic at hand.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...