29.6.07

White Chic

Patricia Gray

Using white in a room can make it have surprising depth - I use several shades of white to bring out the architectural details in a room, or I layer the space with strong forms in different tones and textures of white and use some strong contrasts to outline and bring the white into focus. Some of my favourite whites I use are: Benjamin Moore - Cloud White, Simply White, Ballet White, Designer White. Not every white is snow white. Try using: ivory, cream, antique white, and palest beige.

Nothing is more chic than WHITE ON WHITE


Some white facts from the web:

Ultimate Light: White is purity, cleanliness, and innocence. Like black, white goes well with almost any color.

Culture of White: In most Western countries white is the color for brides. In the East, it's the color for mourning and funerals. Some cultures viewed white as the color of royalty or of deities. Angels are typically depicted as wearing white. In early Westerns the good guy wore white while the bad guy wore black.

Using White: In most cases white is seen as a neutral background color and other colors, even when used in smaller proportion, are the colors that convey the most meaning in a design. Use white to signify cleanliness or purity or softness. Some neutral beige, ivory, and creams carry the same attributes as white but are more subdued, less brilliant than plain white. Use lots of white for a summery look. Use small amounts of white to soften a wintery palette or suggest snow.

Using White with Other Colors: Used with light or pastel tones, white is soft and Spring-like and helps to make the pastel palette more lively. White can make dark or light reds, blues, and greens look brighter, more prominent.

White Words: These words are synonymous with white or represent various shades of the color white.


pearl
antique white
ivory
chalk
milk white
lily
smoke
seashell
old lace
cream
linen
ghost white
beige
cornsilk
alabaster
paper
whitewash

Victoria Hagen Patricia Gray

Purple Area
Lamp by Tobias Wong

- with a coat of white paint even the most traditional forms can be transformed into something altogether new.

Coat rack by Seattle artist Erich Ginder

Patricia Gray Regina Chair

Wing Back chair by Victoria Hagan

Ghost Chair by Philip Starck
John Saladino Porticus Bench
Click here to see other posts on Color

8 comments:

  1. Gasp, it is all absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maryam
    Thanks for visiting my blog and your comment. I just visited your blog and watched your podcast. I am fascinated with your new home on 9 acres of olive grove. I have added you to my blog listings and will be following the growth of your new home. All the best
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would decorate my whole home in all white, but I don't think my husband would be too happy! I absolutely adore that white kitchen with the stone backspalsh! White on white is divine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Suzie
    White is great. I think we all love looking at it, but living with it is more of a challenge

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3/7/07

    From my point of view, one of your strong point as an interior designer Patricia is that you know how to warm whites. I am not a fan of white rooms; I usually find them too bright and with not enough definitions. Your Gastown and Yaletown projects are absolutely fabulous. You got two eyes for design.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kim
    Thanks for your kind words. Using white is a fine balancing act. I try to warm it up with some natural materials.

    ReplyDelete
  7. patricia: your blog is fantastic and your work is very inspiring. you'll be up on mine soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This might sound like a cliche already but it's simple yet elegant. Nothing too fancy for my taste but I really like it. The designs and colors really complement each other very well. Thanks for the share! :)
    Lighting

    ReplyDelete

Patricia Gray | Interior Design Blog™

I love to hear your comments and welcome your thoughts and feedback. Please use the comment form as a discussion format pertaining to the topic at hand.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...