14.3.09

Palm Springs Images and the Colony Palms Hotel

These are a few of my favourite pictures from my visit to Palm Springs. The weather was dry and warm. The Moroccan-inspired Colony Palms Hotel is an old landmark in Palm Springs that is a favourite spot for those who 'don't necessarily want to be seen'. It has been on the Condé Nast Traveller Hot List 2008 — 2009. The pool side bar-restaurant Purple Palm is the discrete meeting spot for locals and Hollywood's music and movie-industry elite.

image image

 image image
This is the lucky Buddha at the Colony Palms. Legend has it that if you make a wish while rubbing his tummy your wish will be granted. My friends Sara and Paul from Vancouver were staying at the Colony Palms Hotel, which just happened to coincide with my visit. (PS.....I have gotten my wish!!!!!)

Palm Springs 3 059
A view through the palm to the discreet and trendy poolside Purple Palm bar.

Palm Springs 156 Palm Springs 3 082

Palm Springs 3 138 Palm Springs 2 023

Palm Springs 175
Shadow cast by cactus on the desert sand

Palm Springs 217
View towards Palm Springs from the lookout point on Highway 74

Palm Springs 3 005

Palm Springs Wind Energy - Increasingly popular as alternative sources of energy, wind turbine generators are a type of windmill that produces electricity by harnessing the wind. Wind turbine generators are much less harmful to the environment than burning fossil fuels, but they do require average wind speeds of at least 21 km/h (13 mph). The largest of these windmills stands 150 feet tall with blades half the legend of a football field. Windmill farms on the San Gorgonio Mountain Pass in the San Bernadino Mountains contains more than 4000 separate windmills and provides enough electricity to power Palm Springs and the entire Coachella Valley.




Other travel posts you might like:
Travel Blog: Drinks at the Viceroy Palm Springs
Sunday in Milan
VENICE - Bauer Palladio Hotel & Spa, Giudecca Island, Redentore
ROME - Hotel Mascagni, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Piazza Barberini
FLORENCE - Hotel Santa Maria Novella, Uffizi, Accademia Gallery

Patricia Gray writes about 'WHAT'S HOT 'in the world of Interior Design, new and emerging trends, modern design, architecture,
and travel, as well as how your surroundings can influence the world around you.
© Patricia
Gray Interior Design Blog, 2009

13 comments:

  1. Anonymous14/3/09

    It's on my travel list! Great posts and photos. Looks like a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous14/3/09

    Dear Patricia;
    I so enjoy reading your Blog and all the interesting things you have on it. Larry is here now and helping me with a few things on this marvelous machine. I miss keeping in touch with you and love you very much. Keep up the good work. Love Auntie Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patricita,

    Incredible pictures and I always love learning about your adventures in Palm Springs - I think it must be so much fun traveling with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that buddha! And that stunning view photo from the hotel! Thanks for including us on your tour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely post today, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Designer and Photographer! I Love Palm Springs too!

    Come over and enter for the Project Create a Home Giveaway!

    xoxo,
    Cathleen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really enjoying looking at your Palm Springs pictures :-) Once again, wonderful images -- my favourite (besides the palm tree, which I already mentioned loving) is the pic beside it, looking at the little tree through the archway.

    The lucky Buddha is cute :-)

    Thank your for the kind words on my "Follow your bliss" post. I really appreciate your support and encouragement :-)

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both Palm pictures, Hotel sign and inside hotel images are great.
    You are a born photographer (composition, focal point, lines, balance, negative space...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Brillante
    That mean a lot coming from you a seasoned, professional photographer with a super-duper camera.
    All I use is my wee little digital point and shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous15/3/09

    Henry Cartier-Bresson (one of my favourite master photographers) once was at a dinner party and met a famous writer.
    She asked him: "What kind of camera do you use?"
    He asked back: "What kind of typewriter do you use?"
    Enough said.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Coachella Valley is also where they have that big music fest my kids are always bugging me to go to- that's where it is.

    Really nice pics...photo-shoping them to b&W and framing them could be really graphic! I am inspired by Albarosa's B&W photos as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous20/3/09

    Dear Patricia,

    My name is Ravi, I have been a follower of your blog for some time and I am really inspired almost daily by your writings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for your lovely emails and comments on this post.
    You are all amazing.
    xx
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete

Patricia Gray | Interior Design Blog™

I love to hear your comments and welcome your thoughts and feedback. Please use the comment form as a discussion format pertaining to the topic at hand.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...