16.2.09

My 10 Most Winning Wing Chairs

Traditionally a wing back chair was an upholstered easy chair with large "wings" mounted to the armrests and enclosing the head or torso areas of the body. Such wing back chairs were originally designed to provide comfortable protection from drafts, and particularly to trap the heat from a fireplace in the area where the person would be sitting. Hence, they were most often used near a fireplace in historic times. So the wing back chair started out to function in rooms that were not centrally heated. We have come a long way since then and the wing back chair has morphed to fit the times and the style of the rooms we live in.

Please leave a comment at the end of this article and let me know which is your favourite wing back chair.

image

Big Chair by Jens Risom from Ralph Pucci International - Walnut Frame

Bergère Chair by Autoban for De La Espada,is available in Black walnut or White Oak with oiled finish.
The De La Espada factory is located near the Silver Coast in Portugal.

Gabriel Chair by Oly Studio is beautifully upholstered in leather with nail heads.

Sam Chair by Oly Studio a more casual look in cane and ebonized black frame.

Leo Chair by Oly Studio A stunning look in white leather and nail heads.


Regina Chair by Poltrona Frau with a molded frame, round grommets to simulate tufting and buttons
It is upholstered in Maserati leather.
Patricia Gray Inc. Photography Roger Brooks

 

image
Laura Kirar Cradle Wing Chair

B B Italia MaxAlto

B & B Italia designed by Antonio Citterio, an updated classical look by the famous Italian Architect Citterio.
Slip covered and very comfortable to sit in.

image

CH445 Wing Chair by Hans J. Wegner from Suite NY.
This chair was designed by Hans J. Wegner in 1960 and reintroduced in 2006.
A modern take on the Scandinavian look.


The Marks Lounge Chair by Michael Taylor Designs.
Designed in the 70's by the famous Californian designer Michael Taylor.

PATRICIA GRAY INC is an award winning interior design firm writing about lifestyle and
WHAT'S HOT in the world of interior design, architecture, art and travel.
2011 © Patricia Gray | Interior Design Blog™

39 comments:

  1. The Big Chair - comfy and classic without being old-fashioned

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's difficult for me to pick only one. And being a consumer and not a designer, I would have to experience them all to determine which one to invest in for my home since it would have to be comfortable as well as beautiful. But as far as design, I love the Big Chair, and the Leo, and the B&B Italia, and the Marks Lounge chair. Can you understand why my husband gets frustrated with me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Leo chair by Oly! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the Sam chair. I love how you found most of them in such neutral colours it makes the post so sophisticated looking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the organic almost cocooon feel of Jens Risom's "Big Chair". Beautiful!
    Victoria @ DesignTies

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous16/2/09

    Regina Chair by Poltrona Frau - LOVE THIS ONE!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Gabriel by Oly, then the B&B Italia chair...it just looks so comfy. And, thanks for introducing me to the Regina chair...I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like Leo best -- then Sam and then Regina :-)

    Kelly @ DesignTies

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Pucci Big Chair the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll take a "Leo Chair" please.

    thank you.


    lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous16/2/09

    I would choose the Antonio Citterio's one.
    It is light and cheerful to me, not stuffy and not heavy.
    He is a brilliant architect who, among other extraordinary places, has also designed the showrooms for B&B in Milan and abroad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. so many great ones - the one we saw in Dallas, aw...... good memories!!! your beautiful white chairs in that apartment you did. the oly chairs - i love those! great post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The first chair is definitely my favorite... great post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great lineup!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Pucci Chair
    Love it

    ReplyDelete
  16. I *love* the white leather Oly Studio chair.

    I have a wing chair from Wms-Sonoma Home that I bought in tartan plaid (why? I have no idea) that I want to recover in white leather. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your picks!

    There's also this one from Ethan Allen that is more modernized with the nailheads and beautiful lines.

    http://ethanallen.com/product?productId=471791&categoryId=8206

    And I think you can pick a different fabric for the back!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous17/2/09

    Gorgeous, every one of them! One could easily make a decorative statement with any of these, yet they're still so livable.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The leather Oly Studio chair has been on my wish list for a while now!!!
    great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous17/2/09

    LOVE the Gabriel Chair by Oly Studio. Love almost everything by Oly. The Wegner chair is nice as well but not as comfortable as his Papa Bear Chair (which when done in ivory leather is perhaps sinful). I also really like the look of Bill Sofield's Manor Wing Chair.

    ReplyDelete
  21. hey...thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  22. They are all beautiful in their own way, but I think the flowing lines of the Chapman Radcliff chair make it my favorite.
    That was fun.

    xo
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  23. The first one! That's so interesting about the origin of the chairs...I'd never really thought about it before.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like the Gabriel chair. Just like the combo of leather and nailheads.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mt favorites are Big Chair by Jens Risom and the one by De La Espada. Stunning selection.

    ReplyDelete
  26. M favorite : regina Chair by Poltrona . But they all look fabulous for diferent reasons

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous18/2/09

    My pick: Regina Chair by Poltrona Frau. I love how you used 4 of them to create a furniture grouping infront of that fabulous fireplace.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous18/2/09

    My favourite is also the Regina Chair. White Maserati leather, how fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous18/2/09

    I would be happy with any one of these chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anything OLY, of course!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. It has to be CH445 Wing Chair by Hans J. Wegner from Suite NY. Great style..... looks comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anonymous18/2/09

    Since I am a total furniture freak, thank you for showing real product by real manufacturers (and not just lifestyle pics from all the same mags).Great, beautiful blog and I am in love with that pure white B&B Italia.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anonymous19/2/09

    I am in total love with the first chair! It looks so amazingly comfortable and sleek!

    ReplyDelete
  34. i love the hans wegner chair... its such a classic! nice posting...

    all the best!
    david

    ReplyDelete
  35. Alice6/4/09

    My pick is the Leo Wing Chair and then the Sam Wing Chair with the ebonized black frame.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Anonymous6/4/09

    All of these wing chairs are beautiful, but the Pucci wing chair is amazing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. all, patricia, my choice is all. like buffalo chicken wings, i can't stop at just ONE wing chair!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I like the color scheming of these chairs.Light colors representing calmness and serenity .My favorite is 1st one ,it looks comfortable chair specially in cold when we need to trap some heat around ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I agree with your top 10 Most Winning Wing Chairs choices..all chairs are great but i love the Big white Chair by Jens Risom it looks comfortable and very elegant.

    ReplyDelete

Patricia Gray | Interior Design Blog™

I love to hear your comments and welcome your thoughts and feedback. Please use the comment form as a discussion format pertaining to the topic at hand.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...